In the recent years, Turkey has become a prominent country in the field of education. The facilities provided for students, and the ever-increasing quality of education and life standards are primarily found among the reasons for foreign students who prefer Turkey for university education.
The admission requirements for both public and private universities are the same for foreign students, however, there may be different certificate requests and admission requirements across universities in some instances.
With over 170 universities, all of the universities in Turkey play a significant role for students in their preparation for the real life and acquisition of professional skills with their socially-engaged campuses and many other opportunities. Here are the things that foreign students must perform in order to receive university education in Turkey:
Undergraduate Program Admission Conditions for Foreign Students
Foreign students that are willing to get university education in Turkey must begin with fully completing the required certificates and submit them to the relevant authorities. The documents requested from foreign students that would like to get university education can be listed as follows:
Student Admission Form
There are admission forms available for each university, and these forms must be submitted after they are filled completely.
High School or Equivalent School Diploma
High school diplomas must be translated into Turkish and certified by Turkish Foreign Representatives or notaries.
Transcript – Academic Record
Transcripts must also be translated into Turkish and certified by foreign representatives, notaries, or the university.
The aforementioned certificates required for enrolling in a university must be submitted to the relevant departments of the university until the deadline described in the academic calendar. Enrollment procedures cannot be completed in case that the submission of the documents delay or fail.
Foreign students have to take language proficiency exams and get scores within the range determined by the universities to be able to receive university education in Turkey. Students that fail to get enough scores in language proficiency exams are given one (1) year of preparatory language education Students that acquire language proficiency after this year are then entitled to take the department courses found in their university program.
University Admission Exams in Turkey That are Applied for Foreign Students
Changes have been made on university admission procedures for foreign students in Turkey after 2011. Until 2011, the exam for foreign students were done once per year by the central system. Today, every university holds their own Foreign Student Exam (Abbreviated as “YOS” in Turkish) by themselves.
Information regarding foreign student exams of preferred universities are detailed on the official websites of the universities. Students may access all information including exam dates, base scores and necessary procedures for taking the exam over the university’s website.
University admission exams of foreign students are held individually under each university.
Acceptance letters are sent by the university for every foreign student that passed the relevant exam and became eligible for admission. Foreign students need to obtain a student visa from Turkish consulates using this letter of acceptance. Students in Turkey may also obtain their student visas from foreign representatives in Turkey.
Student visa is included in the certificates which are required during the enrollment process.
Foreign students that are willing to get university education in Turkey must obtain a residence permit. Residence permits are given by the Migration Management offices located in the cities of residence. As per the relevant law, foreign students are obliged to obtain a residence permit within one (1) month after entering Turkey.
The residence permits of foreign students are renewed every year.
A health insurance, which must be valid in Turkey and completely cover the health expenses of students, has to be obtained. Some universities are able to cover the health and medicine expenses of foreign students. However, in case that a university does not provide such coverage, all health expenses need to be covered by foreign students.
Universities in Istanbul
Istanbul is a center of attention for foreign students for the reason that it is one of the economical centers of the world which offers students an easier job searching process after graduation with higher chances in international career opportunities, besides its cultural and historical assets. Students who choose to get education in Istanbul does not face financial difficulties while receiving world-class education.
Universities hold introduction programs in person or via websites, online and over-the-phone conferences, and webinars.
You too can contact the following universities and take the first step towards your future if you wish to benefit from the privileges of getting education in Istanbul.
- Acibadem Mehmet Ali Aydinlar University (Private)
- Altinbas University (Private)
- Bahcesehir University (Private)
- Beykent University (Private)
- Beykoz University (Private)
- Bezm-i Alem Foundation University (Private)
- Biruni University (Private)
- Bogazici University (Public)
- Demiroglu Science University (Private)
- Dogus University (Private)
- Fatih Sultan Mehmet Foundation University (Private)
- Fenerbahce University (Private)
- Galatasaray University (Public)
- Halic University (Private)
- Isik University (Private)
- Ibn Haldun University (Private)
- Istanbul 29 Mayis University (Private)
- Istanbul Arel University (Private)
- Istanbul Aydin University (Private)
- Istanbul Ayvansaray University (Private)
- Istanbul Bilgi University (Private)
- Istanbul Esenyurt University (Private)
- Istanbul Gedik University (Private)
- Istanbul Gelisim University (Private)
- Istanbul Kent University (Private)
- Istanbul Kultur University (Private)
- Istanbul Medeniyet University (Public)
- Istanbul Medipol University (Private)
- Istanbul Okan University (Private)
- Istanbul Rumeli University (Private)
- Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University (Private)
- Istanbul Technical University (Public)
- Istanbul Commerce University (Private)
- Istanbul University (Public)
- Istanbul University – Cerrahpasa (Public)
- Istanbul Yeni Yuzyil University (Private)
- Istinye University (Private)
- Kadir Has University (Private)
- Koc University (Private)
- Maltepe University (Private)
- Marmara University (Public)
- MEF University (Private)
- Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University (Public)
- Nisantasi University (Private)
- Ozyegin University (Private)
- Piri Reis University (Private)
- Sabanci University (Private)
- University of Health Sciences (Public)
- Turkish – German University (Public)
- Uskudar University (Private)
- Yeditepe University (Private)
- Yildiz Technical University (Public)
- Europe Vocational School of Higher Education (Private VSHE)
- Istanbul Kavram Vocational School of Higher Education (Private VSHE)
- Atasehir Adiguzel Vocational School of Higher Education (Private VSHE)
- Istanbul Sisli Vocational School of Higher Education (Private VSHE)
Erasmus+ Program, Erasmus+ Student Exchange Program or Erasmus+ Project (European Region Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students) is a project of the European Union that promotes the collaboration of higher education institutions and short-term experiences gained in different countries and universities by students and academicians in connection with this collaboration.
Erasmus+ aims to assist people in obtaining more and better skills with the opportunities that it provides in terms of studying and researching abroad. Erasmus+ Program is implemented under the goal of improving the quality of higher education in the fields of education, training, learning, internship, volunteer works, youth and sports.
If you are a citizen of one of the participant nations and if you would like to receive education in Istanbul via Erasmus, you can get detailed information from the following link. ( https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/ )
Pre-School Education – Primary and Secondary Schools
The Istanbul organization of the Ministry of National Education, which has its headquarters in Ankara, was structured as Istanbul Directorate of National Education and District Directorates of National Education. There are certain private schools that are more preferred by international students, and some schools that are under the administration of the consulates general in Istanbul.
Vocational Courses – Public Education Centers – Non-Formal Education – Private Courses
There are quite a lot of vocational courses, public education centers, non-formal education centers and private courses and numerous departments, programs (certified/non-certified) and contents of these courses available in Istanbul. This is a good situation considering that the importance of education and information is more than ever.
Because that this enormous industry is diversifying, reshaping and renewing every day, we suggest you to reach these institutions via general search methods excluding the 3 main institutions.